Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Spinach and Purple Potato Frittata

There are many different levels of healthy and non-healthy eating, in my opinion. There's the really bad, the good, and the really good. Of course there are some that fall in between those as well. I have tried going to the really good extreme, and my entire family completely revolted, so I am happy to say that we generally float between the good and really good, trying to incorporate lots of the really good wherever possible and completely staying away from the really bad. The recipe below was delicious. I found a typical frittata recipe and created this from it, incorporating more really good, and taking out any bad. We LOVED this!



Spinach and Purple Potato Frittata

6 small purple potatoes (cubed)
1 cup spinach (torn)
1 small onion, chopped
1 tsp. garlic, minced
1/3 cup milk (I used Soy, but whatever would work)
6 eggs
1/2 cup cheese

Boil potatoes until tender, but still firm. Drain and set aside. In a medium sized bowl, beat eggs with milk. Set aside. Drizzle some cold-pressed olive oil in skillet (oven safe if you plan to finish cooking in the oven.) Add onions and garlic and cook on medium heat until just barely fragrant. Add spinach and stir until just barely wilting...barely. Add potatoes. Salt and Pepper to taste. Pour egg mixture in and sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook on LOW until egg is firm.

*Note Since I doubled the recipe, and used a huge cast iron skillet, it was taking FOREVER for the egg to cook through, so I moved it into the oven at 350 until it firmed up, and then broiled it for a couple of minutes to golden up the top a tad. It was DELISH!


*The adjustments I made to help this recipe to be healthier were to boil the potatoes rather than fry them to cook them. I also chose purple potatoes which are beautiful and of course due to their color, extremely healthy. I found them at Whole Foods Market (My all time FAVORITE STORE!) I also used cold-pressed olive oil and barely cooked the freshly chopped onions, garlic, or spinach. This recipe could easily feed 6-8 people generously.


No comments:

Post a Comment