Thursday, February 24, 2011

All Natural–Homemade Whipped Body Butter

Homemade Whipped Shea Body Butter
One of the greatest things in the world is healthy, moisturized skin…and this Whipped Body Butter will definitely do the trick! With just a few ingredients, you can make your own homemade body butter. Just a note…this is DENSE body butter; a little bit goes a LONG WAY.
Ingredients:
Unrefined Shea Butter10 oz (1 1/4 cup) Unrefined, Organic Shea Butter (Mango or Cocoa Butter would work as well.)
6 oz Carrier Oil (3/4 cup) (Sweet Almond, Avocado, Grapeseed, Jojoba, etc.)
10-12 drops Essential Oil of your choice (optional) I used Lavender.
Materials:
Double Boiler
Ice water bath (prepared before hand)
Blender
Sterilized glass jars

This recipe is simple, and pretty difficult to mess up. The key to remember is that you want a 60/40 ratio between the shea butter and carrier oil. If you are going to use more than one type of carrier oil, split the 40% between those oils of choice. For example, if you were to use 3 different carrier oils, you’d put 10 oz or 1 1/4 cups of Shea butter and 2 oz (1/4 cup) of each type of carrier oil equaling 6 oz total (3/4 cup).
*Important Note – Do research when you decide which Essential Oils to add to your body butter. For example, you don’t want to use any citrus oils (although they sound yummy) in any body butter you plan to wear in the sun because they’ll hurt your skin. I chose to use Lavender because it’s safe and wonderfully healing to the skin, plus it is actually beneficial in skin that has been overexposed to the sun or sunburned.
Let me know how it goes, and have fun! I’ll be posting some other recipes soon. I’d like to make some mango and cocoa whipped body butter!
ENJOY!


P.S. Please forgive me for the weird cut-off at the end of the video. We believe that the file was corrupted during a transfer. Smile

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had fun making that video!
    My skin is shriveling up in this dry winter weather where I am. It seems that oils alone are not cutting it for me right now. I SO am going to whip some of this up tomorrow! Just need the shea butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The video took FOREVER and still had its issues, but it's perfect for a first attempt! I want to make whipped cocoa butter next...cause I just want to smell it!

    ReplyDelete