Monday, February 7, 2011

Our Bodies are made from Water -THE HYDRATION CHALLENGE!

   I find it fascinating that just as the earth is made up of roughly 75% water, our bodies consist of an average of 60-85% water. The obvious conclusion would be that in order to operate at a high level of health, we must have adequate water to do so. In fact, water is crucial for the health of the systems in our body as it carries oxygen to each of our cells. No oxygen in our cells = DEAD CELLS. Dead cells = ill health and even cancer. Water therefore is a necessary component of optimal health.
How much? Here is a quirky equation that I found that you can take a look at for fun. The best advice I have been given with regard to daily water intake is to drink 50-75% of your body weight in ounces per day. That is the amount that you need for all of the functions and processes that your body encounters throughout the day. Water lubricates joints and muscles, promotes healthy skin due to high levels of hydration, slows aging due to hydrated cells, and removes toxins from our organs, tissues and muscles. Because of all of the things I just mentioned, you will experience much higher levels of energy due to the high function of all of your bodily systems. An all around win win win!
   So why do we feel the need to drink other "energy stimulating" beverages? If you are hydrated...there will be no need. I haven't drank pop in over 6 years. ZERO caffeine in over 6 years, and I'm a mother of 2 active children. It's truly been a blessing. I have to give some IMPORTANT information to those of you who drink or know people who drink caffeinated sodas, especially DIET sodas. When you watch commercials on TV, or walk around the grocery stores, you'll notice a HUGE amount of products promoting their "SUGAR-FREE" nature. It's TRASH. Please do not be fooled. If you read the ingredients list of probably 95% of sugar free products, one of the ingredients is ASPARTAME. Please...even if you don't read any more of this post...at least read that article on Aspartame. It will scare you. Years back I worked for a chiropractor, and we had a wonderful patient who was suffering from Multiple Sclerosis. He admitted to drinking diet drinks. The doctor suggested that he give up the habit. As soon as he did, his symptoms of M.S. greatly decreased. It's amazing to me that 'sugar free' products are heavily promoted to those people suffering from diabetes and yet ironically...one of the side effects of aspartame is DIABETES! Anyway, whether you want to lose weight, improve the appearance of your skin, eliminate stiff joints and muscles, enjoy a higher level of energy, or ALL OF THE ABOVE...try...just try to get rid of the other drinks; all of them, even just try for two weeks and I guarantee the results will blow your mind! It's amazing that if we just take the time to study how our bodies work, the ways to health will become so much more clear!

AND NOW... THE HYDRATION CHALLENGE. Today, being Monday is the perfect day to begin. I would like to challenge all of you to participating in a Hydration Challenge with me. I'll do it...you'll do it...and then we'll talk about it. You don't have to do anything else but cut out all beverages other than water for two weeks.

  Here's the run down:
  *Drink 50-75% of your body weight in oz. each day for TWO WEEKS.
  *Divide it evenly throughout the waking hours of your day.
  *Make an effort not to drink much if any water in the 30 minutes before and after your meals. It will dilute the nutrients in your food as you digest.
  *Don't drink ice cold water. The closer to your body temperature...the less work your body needs to do to use it.

  As an example, if you weight 130lbs, you would take 130X.50=65 oz     130X.75=97.5oz  A person weighing 130lbs would drink 65-97.5 oz of water per day. Write the total on a sticky note where you'll see it all of the time. Carry a nice water bottle around with you, preferably one with the oz. printed on the side, and keep it filled and refilled each time you finish. Now, some of you may worry that you'll spend the entire day in the bathroom, but I was shocked to find out that when I distributed the water intake evenly throughout the day, rather than flooding my body with water every few hours, my body was using nearly ALL of it! TRY IT...I DARE YOU...and let me know how it goes. I'm excited to do it with you! Ready...GO! Happy HYDRATING!

6 comments:

  1. Hey. I'll do it. I need to drink more and I've noticed that when I am in class, I don't drink and when I am running around a hospital taking care of patients for 12 hours I don't drink b/c if I drink I'll have to stop and go to the bathroom. haha... So I'll take your challenge. :) I'll be a Wednesday start though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome Torrie! I agree. There are days when I'm think to myself..."I didn't drink any water today!" I hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually drink my daily recommendation, but I've noticed that with breastfeeding, I need more. I know immediately when I am dehydrated- I get a headache. My Nalgene goes everywhere with me! This is so great! I'll be following along for sure!

    ReplyDelete