Monday, March 28, 2011

The truth about drug companies comes out on ‘Shark Tank’

Scott and I LOVE the show ‘Shark Tank’ being the entrepreneurs and business owners that we are, but there was an episode Friday that left me boiling for a couple of minutes. I’ve told you before that when it really comes down to it, the food industry is a business; a business to make money, and of course just as with any business, it will fail without it. It probably won’t surprise you to know that I feel the exact same way about the drug companies!
If you don’t watch ‘Shark Tank’ or missed Friday’s episode, I’ll give you a little background. It’s a show where entrepreneurs, inventors, business owners, etc. approach venture capitalists or “Sharks” seeking money and support to further their business endeavors. There was a particular business owner Friday night who invented a little device to cover the nostril therefore blocking an extremely high percentage of airborne contaminants, germs, viruses, allergens, etc. (It looked almost like a miniature breathable Band-Aid)
Being the business savvy people that they are, the first question of the “sharks” was why this gentleman didn’t try to partner with one of the big drug companies because the product seemed to be in their “realm” of the business world. The following conversation didn’t shock me…but rather confirmed my already solid convictions. I’ll type the conversation below, and if you want to watch the entire episode and see the product, I’ve posted the link below as well.
 
Robert – “Why not just go license it to one of the big drug companies?”
First Defense Nasal Screens –“Because I did that originally. I went to one of the biggest in the United States, and they told me we were actually a competitor, and if they took the product they would shelf it, because why would they prevent it for a dollar when they could treat it for $14?”
 
I seriously sat, jaw wide open for a bit. I turned to Scott and said, “That poor guy is going to get SUED for even saying something like that!” Like I said, I wasn’t surprised, but it still shocked me to hear it! And, at the risk of being criticized, I would venture to say that they don’t want to find a cure for things like cancer either (I personally believe there already is one) because why would they teach the public that they only have to eat diets rich in the right kinds of foods, oxygenating their livings cells and tissues and ridding them of toxins for only what it costs for a healthy load of groceries, healthy water and herbs, when they could treat it for hundreds of thousands of dollars? And if they do find a “cure” it will be in some form of drug they can market and sell because…well…it’s a billion dollar industry! Anyway, enough on that…enjoy the episode! Hope you have a GREAT start to your week!

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with you! And doesn't it go to show that the sharks believe also or else they wouldn't have been willing to buy the company for 4 million $!!!! Thanks for sharing Camber.

    ReplyDelete